Monday, July 9, 2007

Today for class we took a tour of San Jose. So, me and the other three peace corps trainees who live in my town took the hour and a half bus ride into San Jose. This morning we visited el mercado, the supermarket, and just got to know the city a bit. My group got here an hour early, since we didnt know how the buses worked. So I decided to go to the post office myself, but then I got lost. I was lost for over an hour when I finally found my gringo friends! So that was an adventure.

This afternoon is free and so I walked to the university where I studied two summers ago here in San Jose (ULACIT aka latin american university of science and technology). Jose Miguel is still working here and he is the nicest guy I have ever met. He still remembers me, which is pretty cool. When I was studying abroad here I went to the hostpital 3 times and Jose Miguel stayed with me all 3 times, often for hours. Now he is letting me use their free, fast internet! Its supposed to be only for study abroad kids, but here I am. So lucky me, Im updating sooner than I thought!

So saturday hiking was good. Actually, it was awesome, but I was dead tired. It was good to get a different taste of costa rica, walking through the jungle and a small trail. We hopped over a river a couple times--it reminded me of colorado when me and Scott were doing some daring jumps on the rocks to past over the river. After that, we played a soccer game with some of the kids around town. Its hard to find a place to play because they have all the fields locked up so they dont get ruined. Come on! We found ways to get in and play. Yesterday I went to church with my host mom. It was super hot and it was a little long, but it was a good experience. She is christian, so thats a little against the norm since most here are catholic. Or at least thats what they say. Kind of like most americans say they are christians, but it pretty much ends with that. Im one of them most of the time. Its sad to say, but not many are living out their faith. Im on a quest to find out what that looks like.

This week will be busy. Today we are in San Jose, and tomorrow I will be in another town for more training. Wednesday Ill get to stay in Vuelta de Jorco for class, but then thursday we come back to San Jose. Friday Ill be back in class in V. de Jorco. Saturday we leave for a site visit. I have no other info except we visit (in small groups, i think) a current peace corps volunteer in action. Ill be in a different part of Costa Rica doing that little camping trip from Saturday through Wednesday, so it will be a long time before I get to internet again. I hope we can write letters!

After church, there was a housewarming party for my host moms son. I met a lot of their family there, so that was nice. Ive been pretty tired lately as we have such packed days. My host mom is one of 8 kids and she has 5 kids herself. I think 5 kids here is a pretty small family!

Sorry this is random but Im writing fast and dont really have a plan of attack. To answer uncle Marks comment (i dont know how to reply or im too lazy, one of the two), Im not sure if they have fishing here. Im pretty sure but im not really very close to the coast right now. Maybe I can do some investigating and let you know some good local spots and how it works.

Thanks everyone for your comments and prayers! These past couple days Ive been kind of burnt out and honestly, Ive been pretty cranky. So if you want, you can pray for my crankiness and what not. Its only been a couple weeks here, so imagine what is to come. I miss you guys! Later!

6 comments:

KaraLeighP said...

It was great to hear from you! I'm feeling bad because writing you a letter has been on my list for a couple of days, but it's production week for Guys & Dolls, so I've been crazy busy. At the latest, you'll have a letter in the mail by the middle of next week. I promise! I just figured I'd post it here, since there's a chance you'll get this before you get the letter. :-)

You may feel crazy busy, and not that it will necessarily slow down, but it'll become normal, you'll settle into it, and you won't be so tired anymore. You'll be just fine. Prayers are comin' your way!

K.J. Hascall said...

http://indexmundi.com/z/?lat=9.8&lon=-84.1333333&t=p&r=2280&p=vuelta_de_jorco&cc=cs&c=costa_rica

I don't know if that page will be able to load on your incredibly slow internet, but that's a satellite image of the town you're in! I wish I knew which house was yours.

I sent off a postcard to you last week. Hopefully you get it sometime in the next, oh, 2 months. When I get back to the States, I'll start writing you letters in earnest!

K.J. Hascall said...

http://indexmundi.com/
z/?lat=9.8&lon=-84.1333333&t=p&r=
2280&p=vuelta_de_jorco&cc=cs&c=
costa_rica

Here's the web address again since the last one didn't seem to work. I had to indent it to get it to fit, so just make sure you take out those indents!

RunningForThoseWhoCant said...

I think I'm going to send you a large "koosh" ball. You can introduce the people of Costa Rica to "living room koosh softball"....ahh good times!!

This way, no matter where you are, anywhere you want can be your playing field!

Stigge and I went to the testicle toss, Stigge won a few games, and I went like 1-8. It was pretty pathetic.

I really appreciate the email you fired off to me. I'm going to go ahead and purchase an sd card this week and send it too you. I'm gonna send a journal as well, if thats okay. When i went to France, my mom stuck one in my luggage without telling me, and I opened it up in Paris and wrote in it every day. I look back it it from time it time to just help refresh the memories. If you haven't done this already (the blog is a good start) Its something I would try and do! Two years is just to much to keep stored inside your lil head.

Also, if you do it, we can write a book when you come home and call it, "Memoirs of a Beuno Gringo" :)

Psalm 3, verse 6-7:

"When I felt secure, i said "i will never be shaken."

O Lord,, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm"

Davenport Dame said...

Nick! It has been such a long time since you left already! I just read the whole blog. Sounds like things are going pretty well for you. We all miss you a lot! I was happy to hear you have some little kids around you--they always love you and I'm sure it's a good way to let some energy out. I hope that you have lots of energy for the weeks ahead and that you are getting lots of mail--don't worry, I'll be sending some, too. Snail mail will never die!

~Leslie

KDawg said...

Hey Nick!! It's Kristina!! I just saw on your facebook that you have a blog going about life in Costa Rica. That's just amazing and so cool. I wish we could have talked or hung out before you left. It's going to be forever before I get to see you again. But I am happy for you and proud of the fact that you are doing this huge commitment. You are an extremely caring individual and I'm really glad that we got to be friends.

I will be sending a letter to you soon!! :)

-Kristina